Section I – Taking Care of the Caregiver – that’s you!
Section II –Tips on Caregiving
Caring for Yourself
“I take care of everyone – my husband, my children, even the dog and cat. What about me?”
It’s time to take care of yourself. That means your whole self - body, mind, and spirit. Make some time for yourself every day – now!
Tips to recognize your stress triggers and signals…
• Do a mental body scan several times a day.
• Scan for tension or distress.
• Take a few relaxed breaths in and out.
• Release the tension.
• Then take one positive action.
Don’t hold it in. Let it out!
• Talk to a trusted person.
• Write a journal.
• Learn new ways to communicate.
• Don’t keep harmful secrets.
Dwelling on what’s wrong won’t change it.
• Avoid thinking everything is a disaster.
• Don’t think about it over and over and over.
• Don’t avoid the problem.
• Tackle problems directly.
Learn to calm your body and mind. Proven winners are:
• relaxed breathing
• tai chi
• nature walks
Tips for helping yourself…
• It’s okay to ask for help. It’s a sign of strength, not weakness.It’s okay to ask for help. It’s a sign of strength, not weakness.
• Seek help early for depression, anxiety, or traumatic stress.
• Don’t wait till you fall apart.
• Consider counseling.